Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Communication

Everyday I open my mouth and words come out that are understood by those hearing them. I write, talk, sing and interact, safe in the knowledge that my meaning is getting across, which it usually is. But what is it like when it isn’t, when your ability to communicate is non-existent. Is that even possible? I don’t think so. Even when reduced to the most rudimentary hand gestures, it is possible to make a connection, get your basic needs across. I guess I am about to find out.

We are sitting in O’Hare International, the USA’s largest airport and waiting for a gate attendant to show up who can help us sort out a seating problem. As it stands, Jane and I sit together, but John, Will and Katy are scattered throughout the cabin. We are hoping that they can at least get us two more seats together. Our ability to communicate will be crucial, as it has been earlier this morning, in solving other logistical issues. If words don’t work, a very sad sever year old will likely get someone in charge’s attention, if not their sympathy. It remains to be seen.

When we arrive in Tokyo, language will quickly become a mountainous issue. How fast we can process a new written language, and a rudimentary spoken one, will define the next few days. Buying food, using the ATM machine, being polite to though whose help we need, even expressing our gratitude, frustration, and joy, will be things we need to learn.

And, what will it be like to have only four other people who really understand me? Or, at least understand my words? What will that be like for two and half months? That is the true reason I’m writing this blog- so my words will be read, heard, understood by SOMEONE! I have become so dependent on the internet as a way to communicate. Hopefully that will still be an option in Hamamatsu. We are planning on accessing schools for the kids, work for John, sanity for me via the web. Plan B if that falls through will be interesting!

Think of us this week as you go about your daily business. Imagine what it would be like if you didn’t understand anyone. Have empathy for the immigrant, struggling to make a go of it.